Monday 28 September 2015

Day 6 - Cohocton to Niagara Falls

The accommodation at Cohocton was called an ‘inn’ but in reality was a privately owned property with well-equipped rooms. No breakfast was included so in the morning we walked down to a nearby independent grocery shop to buy some cereals and milk.

Arrived in Niagara today.  WOW wow wow, I was so excited to be finally be at Niagara Falls, I had to pinch myself as it felt like a dream when I first caught a glimpse of the great falls.  I couldn’t believe that I was actually here.  My whole life I’ve wanted to visit but never really thought that I ever would so to finally be here is amazing.
Niagara Falls, NY

Rainbow Bridge

Our accommodation is on the Canadian side of the falls but first of all we wanted to take a boat trip on the ‘Maid of the Mist’, I have wanted to go on this boat ever since I saw it on another of my favourite films – Bruce Almighty – The bit where Bruce Nolan reports for Eyewitness News after Evan (backstabber) Baxter gets the anchor man job that he was hoping for……….. it’s hilarious.... you can watch it here ....



Anyway.... we went on the boat and it was great fun, the fierce spray from the falls was a bit of a shock – it’s a good job we had the plastic mac on that was handed out otherwise we’d have been soaked to the skin.  I took some cool footage on my GoPro which is luckily waterproof... this one's only a minute long.


Then across Rainbow Bridge and the border into Canada.

Crossing into Canada - Rainbow Bridge


We just had time to check-in to our hotel before going off to attend our event.  We’d planned a very short 'meet and greet', as we knew we would have tight time constraints.

As is traditional for our events we try to find an interesting statue to hold the event by.  This time we chose the statue of Nikola Tesla – inventor of the AC motor and hydroelectric power – apparently the statue stands in the exact spot where a photograph had been taken that Tesla later said had inspired him to invent hydroelectric power.



It was a great to see some old friends from the UK, Wigglesworth, we first met them while we were playing a Wherigo at the UK's 1st Mega  Event in Harrogate in 2008.   Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, Ehunter3 and Volkssporter41 bought home-made cookies and shortbread along which we thought was a lovely gesture.
Can you believe this is just the starter??




134 miles today.
(The strange route is because we'd set the sat-nav to avoid toll roads)




No comments:

Post a Comment